What is the Lifestyle Service?
The Lifestyle Service is provided by a team of Lifestyle Coaches, helping people to make changes to their lifestyle that will improve their health and wellbeing. The Lifestyle Service is provided by VAST and commissioned by Stoke-on-Trent City Council and has been operating since 2008.
Clients are referred via their Stoke on Trent based GP Surgery and the service is for anyone over the age of 18 years who:
- Has a Body Mass Index (BMI) of >25 with certain medical conditions or;
- Has a Body Mass Index (BMI) of >25 and are at risk of developing certain medical conditions or;
- Has a Body Mass Index (BMI) of >30 and is currently ante/post natal or;
- Has a Body Mass Index (BMI) of >30 and has no medical conditions or;
- Is awaiting/post bariatric surgery or;
- Has recently had a referral into Cardiac Rehabilitation Programme
How do I access the Lifestyle Service?
You must be referred to the Lifestyle Service by your doctor or nurse.
If you think you would benefit from the Lifestyle Service ask your GP, practice nurse or midwife. They will check to see if you are medically suitable and if you are ready to make lifestyle changes. They will then refer you to the service.
Check your BMI here to see if you might be eligible –
A Lifestyle Coach is specially trained:
- to help people set lifestyle goals and put those goals into action
- to support people as they make changes to improve their health and wellbeing
- to promote activities that will encourage a long-term healthy lifestyle
- to offer information and help with diet, exercise and how they feel about themselves
What happens when I am referred to the Lifestyle Service?
Once your referral is accepted by the Lifestyle Service your Lifestyle Coach will contact you to make an appointment.
Your Lifestyle Coach will help you to make a Personal Health Plan.
Your Lifestyle Coach will support you for up to 12 months as you put your Personal Health Plan into action.
It is very important to develop your own self-motivation for lifestyle changes and your Lifestyle Coach will encourage you every step of the way.
The Lifestyle Service is provided by VAST and commissioned by Stoke on Trent City Council.